Vegan Apricot-Citrus Cream Cake (GF)
This cake is not only vegan, gluten-free, refined sugar-free, and oil-free, but unlike traditional plant-based cakes, I have drastically reduced the amount of nuts and seeds in it, yet I was able to create a super creamy, low-fat, and incredibly delicious cake. Instead of nuts, I used an ingredient that is low in fat, full of protein, fiber, and vitamins, and gives this cream a surprisingly good consistency. In addition, it is very easy to make, so even those who are less fond of baking and cooking can certainly cope with it successfully.
Ingredients (for a 18 cm cake pan)
80 g gluten-free oats*
80 g pitted dates, soaked in water for 4-5 hours
*You can use buckwheat instead of gluten-free oats, as well.
360 g cooked white beans (1 1/2 can)
65 g walnut, soaked in water for 4-5 hours
120 g pitted dates, soaked in water for 4-5 hours
1 ½ tsp 100% pure vanilla powder
50 ml plant-based milk
3 bio lemon (juice of 3 lemons and zest of 2)
3 tsp psyllium husk
200 g dried apricot, sokad in water for 4-5 hours
juice of 1 big orange
1. Soak the dates, dried apricots and walnuts in water for 4-5 hours. (If you want to shorten the soaking time, you can use hot water, and soak them for 30 minutes.)
2. Preheat the oven to 185 °C.
3. For the base, place the oats in a food processor and pulse it a few times to slightly process it. It doesn't have to be completely ground into flour.
4. Drain the dates, then add to the oats and process until it has a crumbly, sticky consistency.
5. Press into the bottom of the cake tin and place in the preheated oven for 10 minutes.
6. For the cream, drain the dates, then place all the ingredients besides the psyllium husk in a blender. Blend until very creamy.
7. Then add the psyllium husk, as well, and blend together.
8. Finally, spread the cream evenly on the base, and bake it at 185 °C for 25-30 minutes.
9. For the apricot puree, drain the soaked apricots and blend with the orange juice until creamy.
10. After the cake has cooled, spread the apricot puree evenly on the cake.
11. You can decorate the top with chopped dried apricots or fresh fruits.
This cake can be made without baking, but you get a kind of crust from baking, which makes it a bit like a baked cheesecake. :)